Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lykke Li at 6th & I

When I found out Lykke Li was playing at 6th & I Synagogue I automatically knew I was going, but I didn’t know how much better her songs would sound live. Her energy kept me on my feet for the whole performance. I didn’t know what to expect from the venue, but the lighting and ambience made it a concert atmosphere. At times I wished I sat in the balcony or stood closer to the front because the audience was livelier in those areas, but it didn’t distract me from the performance.
Wildbirds & Peacedrums, also from Sweden, was her opening act and was just what the audience needed to get pumped up for Lykke Li. Their use of instruments kept me alert and their sound was something like I’ve never heard. This was one of the few times I wanted to know more about the opening act.
When Lykke Li came out to perform she was silhouetted. Her first song was “Dance Dance Dance” and everyone immediately stood up. The arrangement made it feel more rock inspired then like a pop song, which is what it sounds like on the album. The same can be said for her performance of “Let It Fall”. During the performance, Lykke Li interacted with the audience, which made it feel more intimate. It became more like a sing a long toward the end of the song and she promptly stopped us and said it “sounds like the Lion King”. I’m guessing she meant we were taking the edge out of the song, but either way it was funny. Overall I think she’s a great performer and would recommend going to a concert of hers.

Jamye

No comments:

Post a Comment