Thursday, April 30, 2009

Extra Credit Blog: Let's Make Noise

Music has always been a major part of my life. Home videos reveal me as a three-year-old, plunking the keys of my Playskool piano as I sang along to songs of Billy Joel, and doing the same with a plastic guitar and Raffi. I feel I have come a long way since "Baby Beluga"; nevertheless, this is where it all began.

My days of Playskool piano plunking and plastic guitar strumming led to my formal training on these two instruments, which has now spanned over a decade. I also introduced myself to the violin in early elementary school, after music class teachers graced my ears with symphonic orchestral recordings of such genius composers as Beethoven and Mozart. Although for a lesser time period, I have also been found banging on the drums. I make a somewhat humorous attempt at writing lyrics to original pieces, and an even more comical one at accompanying said pieces with vocal melodies. For these reasons, I have found myself playing in bands and performing in live venues, which is something I hope to continue doing.

In more recent years, I have discovered that there is an entire world of musical art that exists beyond the performance aspect. This was set in motion when I had the desire to record some of my original music. I started with an inexpensive computer program and one microphone, and in a few years built that up into a small home studio in my basement, where I could be found in my free time. I have recorded tracks of my own original music, as well as demos for friends and others who wish to capture their work. After being at AU for a year in the Audio Production program, I have learned even more than I could imagine. I am on the verge of becoming a certified Pro Tools operator, and realizing that there are many roads I can choose that would make me happy working in this industry. I find I am always learning something new, but I know I have only dipped a toe in the ocean of this musical world.


Jon Casalaina

No comments:

Post a Comment